Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day Six: Kennedy Space Center


This is the Kennedy Space Center. I debated whether we should do this trip because it is about a hour away from Orlando. But considering that Hiro and Rio are space buffs and Reina is doing an unit on Space, I thought it would be worth it. Taking a bus tour from International Drive would be expensive and a pain. The bus stops at 8 hotels there and then back... We would get back at around 8pm and then get a taxi to the airport before 4 am since we were leaving the next day.

Tour bus for 4 to Space Center is $160 plus $50 for taxi to the airport. So I decided to be brave and rent a car for $85. We checked out in the morning, drove to the Space Center, return it at the airport, check-in our flight and stay at an airport hotel. We would just take the free shuttle in the morning. 

Since any airport hotel with a free shuttle bus would do the trick, I decided to go through Hotwire. Because I don't have an American or Canadian credit card, I can't bid on a Priceline hotel, this was the next best thing. I ended up getting the Wyndam Wingate Airport Hotel for $68. It was about $12 less than the Expedia published price. Had I waited, I could have gotten another 3-star hotel for $8 less... Still, it was a good deal because we liked the hotel and under the same circumstances, I would do it again. If you look around the Internet, it's pretty easy to figure out what hotels you'd be getting.

The room was large, the beds were queen (unlike the budget motel), it had a microwave and fridge. Honestly, I would have been happy staying here longer. The shuttle bus was rickety but the driver was wonderful and efficient. I requested some early morning breakfast and we got to have bagels and cream cheese, juice, coffee tea and cereal with milk at 4 am. It was great because there was a delay and we didn't get to eat until 11 am during our transit in Houston.




But back to the Kennedy Center. The drive to the Space Coast was actually very beautiful and driving back during sunset was also breathtaking. We saw the heads of a few alligators poke up but nothing that would be considered a real siting.





The real thing. The Space Shuttle retired. The Kennedy Space Center is really ... well done. It is American style edu-tainment at its best. I really recommend people to head out here even if you are not real space buffs. Kids should be at least 8 though, unless they are space buffs, as some boys are at an early age. I went a little nutty here buying souvenirs as I did at Harry Potter. When a place leaves a huge impression on you, you tend to let the pursestrings loose.










The highligh for me was undoubtedly the lecture by a former astronaut. Bob Springer. Unfortunately, Hiro couldn't understand most of the talk and it was beyond Reina's comprehension level as well. Rio listened attentively and asked the first question. I asked the last. In this photo session, he commended us on our questions.

The last photo is for Yuki. You have to get this on YOUR trip to Orlando!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment